Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iPhones/iPhone OS 3.0

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Sat Jun 13 2009 - 11:29:53 EDT

Wow the list is touchy this past week!

There were PDAs before the Newton, just without much of the functionality of the Newton.

In fact, in ~1978, a patent was filed for a very primitive PDA. It was basically a calculator with the ability to log in some dates. Anyway, the concept was already in place long before the Newton. And then there were some devices already on the market as well like the EO 440 (very functional, but slow...), but that was only just a few months earlier to market than the Newton. Before this there was the Psion Organiser I (1984), and in 1991 the HP Jaguar (95LX)... to mention a few.

"The Jaguar had superior specs with a massive 1mb ROM, 512kb RAM, PCMCIA II expansion slot, 4,8″ screen and a resolution of 240 x 128 against the Psion’s 1mb ROM, 256kb RAM, 4,3″ screen with 240×80, both on monochrome and with QWERTY keyboards. In 1992 HP launched a new Jaguar with double the RAM."

These products had "small keyboards, small displays, and basic features such as an alarm clock, calendar, telephone pad and calculator"

Regardless, the Newton took from these concepts, and then sprung out from others with lots of new features not previously predicated on earlier PDAs. So in reality, the Newton was not the first PDA, just the first modern PDA.

All the best,

Ryan