Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iPhones/iPhone OS 3.0

From: Dennis B. Swaney <romad_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat Jun 13 2009 - 11:49:31 EDT

Gary Moody wrote:
> We prefer the term "Native Americans". "Indians" was a term foisted on the indigenous people of the Americas by Columbus when he thought he had actually landed in India, as he was looking for a new spice trade route.
>
> Sacagawea, a member of the Shoshone tribe, served as a guide and interpreter during the Lewis and Clark expedition, taking the explorers to the places of her childhood, as these areas were well known to the Native Americans. So, the term "pioneer" is also a stretch.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gary

Well, "Native American" refers to one who was BORN on the continents of
North and South America (and their associated island groups.) So that is
a misnomer also. Of course the argument then is that Asian, Caucasian,
and Negroid peoples are just descendants of immigrants, but THAT also
won't won't work because the first inhabitants of the Americas are also
descendants of Asian immigrants!

A more accurate term would be "Pre-Columbian Inhabitant"

--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney