[NTLK] i-Poll Results

From: Andy Hill <adhill_at_fastmail.co.uk>
Date: Thu Jun 25 2009 - 20:11:01 EDT

Hi there,

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to the poll. Here are the
results and some thoughts!

*Total responses*
In total 55 people responded to the poll. Most people clearly stated
that they owned a Newton, many Newtons or even many of each model of
Newton.
Not sure if this is a good return rate from the 2,077 (Thanks Tony)
registered list members worldwide but seems a very good response from
the regular contributors.

*The Big Question - 'Do you own an iPhone'?*
Ok here's the deal. In total 21 of the 55 respondents already own an
iPhone! and were obviously very enthusiastic about them particularly in
relation to the new 3Gs version.
Some iPhone users have more than one iPhone, one person has 3!

Some interesting supplementary information was also volunteered by some
responders:

*Would like an iPhone*
In addition to the 21 who already own an iPhone, 5 members said they
would really like to an iPhone at some point in the future but were
currently tied to a contract with a different carrier.

*iPhone has replaced Newton
*2 iPhone users stated that their iPhone had replaced their Newton as
their day to day device.

*iPod Touch*
In total 8 members stated that they have an iPod Touch. Of these 2 also
have an iPhone. A further 2 stated that the Touch had replaced their
Newton as their day to day PDA..

*Best of both worlds
*In total 4 responders inferred that using their Newton alongside their
iPhone represented the best of both worlds.
*
Newton interest dwindling**
*Sadly but perhaps not surprisingly, 4 members (2 of which had iPhones)
inferred that their enthusiasm for the Newton was dwindling and that
giving up the platform was inevitable.

*Newton interest stable or rising
*In total 2 members inferred that their enthusiasm for the Newton was as
strong as ever and that they intended to purchase more Newtons.*

Would not own a cell phone
*3 members were emphatic that they would not use an cell phone - period.*
*
*Lurking
*A couple of members stated that they mostly lurked on the list and
enjoyed reading the debates but rarely contributed. One since 1998!
*
Retired Newtons out to grass
*Two members stated that their Newton were standing in pride of place on
some shelf or in a cabinet and fondly remembered but not regularly used.
*
**Men-only
*I believe the only respondents were men. Someone did mention having
given a Newton to his wife but basically the Newton is largely a shed thing.

*Other PDA's / cellphones mentioned*
Palms, Blackberry, Nokias and a Google Android were also mentioned.

*Key quotes
*Some actual quotes (non attributable) as examples of the above:

'don't spend as much time with my Newt as I should....I lurk a lot of
this list, but been around since '98 and have a ton of Newt goodies and
at least two of each model'.

'I have no interest because my Samsung and Nokia N770 pretty much do
everything interesting that iPhones do for a lot less money both in
terms of purchase and in terms of monthly charges. To add to your poll
then, I don't hate iPhones. They are just not for me. Don't fit my
life/budget'.

'Bought one of the first Newtons produced....ended up with a N2K, a
2100, and several eMates.....All occupy a shelf in my computer room and
sit there gathering dust. I have, use, and am very happy with my iPhone
3G. It's not a Newton but it does do what I need and what the Newtons
used to do for me. HWR would be nice but not on the tiny screen'.

'jealously looking at iPhones since they came out, but need to have
Nextel's direct connect (PTT) service and can't justify two phone
contracts. However, the iPod Touch does look appealing as well'.

'I have an eMate 300 (desktop use) and iPhone (2G) for everyday use. And
I'm mostly a lurker'.

'I have a newton, and do not use an iphone. I have an ipod touch that is
never not on my person'.

'I have both. I use the iPhone every day. Sometimes I use my eMate to
play a game of mahjong before bed. The 2100 hasn't been turned on in
months, if not years'.

'Do you own a Newton and an iPhone - No, with a 'but'. I own an iPod
touch, so maybe that's a 1/2 vote for 'yes''.

'No. I only only several Newtons'

'Yes. 1 Newton; 2 iPhones (soon to be 3)'.

'More specifically: a MessagePad 2000 (now given to my wife), a
MessagePad 2100, an eMate and an iPhone 3G. I happily use both and I
don't plan to abandon the Newton in any case'

'The iPhone has completely replaced all functions my newton once
provided, plus has added many more. Once one learns to trust the
auto-correct algorithm on the soft keyboard, it's faster than HWR ever was'.

'I expect that I will abandon the newton some day when the right thing
comes along'.

'Yes to Newton -- more than one of them, and I'll probably get a few
more if I get the chance'.

'Yes to your question - I happily own both devices'.

'Guilty as charged. I do read the list everyday and enjoy watching the
conversations take place. To answer the original question: no, I do
not own an iPhone; just a Newton. However, after 4 years of owning a
2100 I still can't seem to integrate into my day-to-day life. Sometimes
it will go for days without being turned on'.

'I do have a Newton and an iPod Touch, the latter of which I use mostly
as a pda/organizer. I have had trouble getting the Newt to sync with my
Mac apps'.

'And why is it called a "phone" when Steve Jobs himself says it's a
"phone, an iPod, and a revolutionary Internet device in one"? Should be
called iDevice. Sounds much cooler. And that "i" thing is too much
cliché now'.

'I own a newton (several of them) but do *NOT* own an iPhone...in fact,
the Newton is the only Apple branded product I allow inside my house'.

' G'day mate, I've got an OMP, MP2000U, and an iphone 3G. They're all
great'.

'The iPhone gives me that same feeling as when I first saw a Newton in
the MacUser / MacWorld magazines in the nineties'.
*
**Overall conclusions*
In terms of the original question, the poll puts the record straight in
that about half the respondents either have or would like a iPhone and a
few more are using an iPod Touch as their day to day device. This goes
some way to explain the upsurge of iPhone-related debates. It is also a
useful reality check for the more zealous Newton enthusiasts when
challenging debates that steer towards the iPhone (me included re the
rude art). Basically, at this moment in time, the iPhone is as much a
norm for the Newton user as it is not and this is bound to grow. It is
also clear that the iPhone is generating the sort of enthusiasm that the
Newton did when it was first released and it is quite sad, and even
makes some members a bit angry that Apple disbanded the Newton platform
which had / has such potential. But we mustn't project this onto our
fellow iPhone-Newton enthusiasts - the newly evolved species?

What is very encouraging is that irrespective of the iPhone's presence
people - whatever their Newton persuasion - like hanging out on this
list which is ultimately a NEWTON APPRECIATION SOCIETY and this
appreciation takes many different forms.

All the best and thanks again for all the wonderful emails.

Andy