Re: [NTLK] GTD and Omnifocus vs. Newton

From: Joel M. Sciamma <joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk>
Date: Sat Mar 14 2009 - 06:44:59 EDT

Ryan,

> The Newton also conforms to concepts revolving around GTD. The
> thing I like about the Newton is it is a more focused device than a
> computer running Omnifocus: inputing To Dos on my computer is
> overkill, and I am constantly distracted when I am on it. Sitting
> down on my Newton and jotting down To Dos is much easier and more
> focused... which is why I am not giving up my Newton for Omnifocus.

Actually I gave up OmniFocus (which is a very nice app.) and the
Newton, for paper.

What I have now is a binder with scrap A4 sheets and a pencil - and
boy, is it fast! HWR is 100% accurate, the screen resolution and
contrast is off the chart, it accepts text, drawing, tree diagrams,
the lot, battery life is incredible and the modeless operation is
such a relief!

For my To Do list, this is really the best solution and believe me, I
have tried all the electronic alternatives.

An ApplePad just might lure me back into the digital world for this
task - but I doubt it.

OmniFocus is just about as good as a piece of software could be but
it still has to be launched/brought to the front, learnt, managed,
updated, fed, backed up etc.

The Newton is still peerless when it comes to note taking, data
gathering, and for all the things that you need to keep for ever.

To Dos are transient, have to be fast and require no thought other
than the task and for me, have to visible at all times while I use
the computers for what they do best.

Joel.