Re: [NTLK] GTD and Omnifocus vs. Newton

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Tue Mar 17 2009 - 21:16:34 EDT

Hi Rick:

I agree with you partly. For my personal life, I never use To Dos, and, if you are referring to both your personal life and your business life, then I am sure you get along fine as you are.

However, in my business, if we did not remind ourselves of things, there is no way we would remember to do them all. There are so many numbers and follow ups to track in a business like ours that it is essential to have To Do management. When you don't have full time secretaries, the Newton is a great companion, and does just what it is meant to do: a Personal Digital Assistant.

Despite what some others might say, the Newton is really a business oriented device, and was never meant to be something for the average consumer. You can use it like a consumer, but there is so much more to it.

What I have found so far is that there are 3 kinds of Newton users today.

1. Exploratory tech geek user (not really using it for anything but curiosity and fun)
2. Writers (Emates make great writing machines). I know of many people who use Newtons, today, for instance, to send articles to their Blog, or write stories/books.
3. Business users (I would imagine very, very little user base in this category).

I fit into all three categories, and I can say that it is the best companion I have in my business, in my personal life and in my writing life. The iPhone that also resides with me is just sort of "there".

Ryan

"One thing I've never used the Newton (or iCal, or whatever software
might be out there) for is To-Do. Either my life isn't as busy as I
feel it is, or there may be something wrong with me (LOL), but I can
assure you: I just use my brain and rely 99% of the time on my memory.
When I wake up in the morning, the list of things to do is all in my
head. I know rather precisely the hierarchy of tasks I have to take
care of for the day, their priority, what to do next and which things
I'm postponing. I've never felt the need to write down reminders or to-
do notes, either on paper, or using the Newton or my iPhone. The few
times I 'forced' myself to use some kind of to-do application, I
always felt I was wasting my time. An alarm would go off and remind me
of something I already knew I'd have to do, or something I already
remembered to do.

Maybe that's why my memory is still very good :)

Cheers
Rick

System Folder - The Platinum Days
<http://systemfolder.wordpress.com>"