[NTLK] Exporting to rtf...

From: Jeremy O'Brien <obrien654j_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Mar 28 2009 - 17:12:26 EDT

Hello,

I've had a Newton eMate for over a year now, and have recently acquired
a free messagepad 2000. I have a serial cable that works for both the
messagepad and the eMate, and I have both ethernet and wireless working
on the messagepad. I have an older thinkpad with a serial port (running
Linux), and a Macbook pro running OS X. I have explored an immense
amount of transfer/backup solutions for the newton(s), but have not
found one that works the way I'd like. My ideal solution would be
something that allows me to transfer the notes off the messagepad in an
rtf format (with ink text/drawings etc), as I've read someone was able
to do with theirs. Here is a list of what I've tried thus far:

1. Transfer notes from the messagepad to linux using Slump.exe, serial, and DOSBOX.
Worked fine, but text only and names for notes aren't preserved.

2. Used NCX for OS X and the TCP/IP Dock program that comes with it,
over wireless, to transfer notes from the messagepad to the Mac. Worked better
than Slump.exe, but still no drawings of any kind.

3. Used Nitro/Neo to transfer notes over IR-OBEX to my Linux machine,
and to an XP machine. Both worked, but again, no images.

4. Tried using MailV, SimpleMail, and Eudora Pro to email my notes
through SMTP to myself. I tried gmail at first, realized the newton
can't do SSL/TLS, then tried using stunnel to route the traffic through
my laptop, which also failed. I then signed up for a free mail account
at gmx.com, which offered free POP3/IMAP/SMTP access, but the newton
couldn't connect to it either. I'm not sure if gmx required SSL/TLS or
not, so I don't know if it was the newton's fault or not. Anyway, I
can't find a service that lets plain SMTP through.

I've read about X-Port, and it seemed like it would be the perfect
solution. However, it is $50. I'm a college student. I don't have $50
lying around :(

I pondered about printer emulation, but couldn't find much about it
either.

So my question is, how do you guys manage getting your notes off of your
newtons in a good format?

Thanks for reading,
Jeremy