Re: [NTLK] Speech Recognition

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Tue May 19 2009 - 23:24:40 EDT

Yes it helps, because my wrists are not as hyperextended when inputting with a stylus, and it is this hyperextension at the wrist that has caused my tendinitis, despite my hands and posture being correct.

In addition, our wrists/hands do not move that much when we type, which further exacerbates the problem by straining the smaller muscle groups in those areas. So switching it up is good...

And speech is great. I am now writing my blog through speech, and controlling my Mac (when in quiet environments) through speech. With the advent of OS X, speech advanced significantly from the Mac Classic days by being able to action menu items both in programs and in the Finder.

Today I felt like Harrison Ford (Rick Deckard) on Bladerunner giving my computer instructions... and aside from speech to text, the most powerful thing about it is being able to make custom commands so saying one thing can initiate a series of actions on the computer (i.e. an Applescript or Automator script).

The huge downside though is that a quiet environment is a must which many times makes it impractical... microphones need to advance a lot more for speech to be more practical...

Then I think... invest in microphone companies... they will probably be the next big thing as speech becomes ubiquitous.

Relevant article on the matter:

http://www.thisoldmac.ca/wordpress/2009/05/15/speech-recognition-in-osx-plus-macspeech-dictate-a-revolution/

Thanks.