Re: [NTLK] Newton and GPS Web Page

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed May 20 2009 - 17:19:36 EDT

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 3:53 PM, RCMP_Mike <rcmpmike@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings Matt,
>
> I read your Newt/GPS page and couldn't help but chuckle when you said,
> "Rumour has it that even the United States Marine Corps experimented with
> Apple Newtons in the mid-1990s as part of their DARPA project."

Man, I wish there were pictures of this setup or some equipment that was
saved from this setup...

> Well, I actually had the pleasure of trying out the software known as
> Leatherneck. It was developed by Booz-Allen and was unbelievable. The
> Newton was connected to a Motorola satellite radio and a laser range
> finder.
> With it you could call in air strikes, artillery and med-evac in one or two
> taps and lasing the target or LZ. It was way ahead of its time. It still
> runs a tingle down my spine.

Did anyone save any pictures of this setup or have more info...
It would be great to have... I'd assume this was likely an MP110 or MP120
setup.
Plus that it used likely one of those camouflage cases or army green that I
have.

> Just thought you would like to know.

Oh thank you for sharing we do appreciate the tid bits that are shared about
personal experiences with Newton that most people didn't hear about back
then when they were in actual use.

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung