Re: [NTLK] OT: Downgrade OS 9.2.1 - OS 9.1

From: Don Zahniser <dzahniser_at_rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sat May 23 2009 - 18:20:04 EDT

On May 23, 2009, at 4:46 PM, Ryan Vetter wrote:

> I have a PowerBook 2400c, won't boot into anything over OS 9.1. I
> have installed onto a hard drive OS 9.2.1 and now I have just
> learned it is not compatible with pre-G3 machines. I get an error
> message when trying to boot into OS 9.2.1 on the 2400c that the
> system is not supported, and it is overlayed the OS 9.2 Boot Window.
>
> So does anyone know how to downgrade OS 9.2.1 - OS 9.1 when one
> only has (1) Full OS 9.2.1 retail install CD (2) OS 9.1 Update
> Installer???

Not ever having tried this, I would think that (if it can be done)
the tool to use would be TomeViewer.

http://mac.wikia.com/wiki/TomeViewer

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/4561

Try extracting the individual components from the OS 9.1 updater, and
substitute them on the 9.2.1 system.

The big potential 'gotcha' is that all of the needed components to
revert to 9.1 may not be available (i.e. - a component that didn't
need to be upgraded for 9.1, but was upgraded for 9.2.1, and is
incompatible with your computer). You may want to start with just
the 'System' suitcase, and see what happens.

--
Don Zahniser