Re: [NTLK] Another Newton feature now available for the iPhone

From: Dennis B. Swaney <romad_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed Oct 07 2009 - 09:45:57 EDT

Mike Rodgers wrote:
> True, but NeXT borrowed from Unix. It seemed to be a nice OS at the
> time, too bad it did not succeed as well as it should have. Had the OS
> not been resurrected into Mac's new OS, most folks would never know
> about it.

Yes, but it was borrowed freely from an open source system.

> I saw a NeXT based system in use at the Miami airport. One of the
> caterers used it to control the conveyor belts and delivery system.

I actually went to the NeXT Store in Sacramento and looked at them but
they were out of my price league.

> It is ironic that the newest OS is based in part on the oldest.
>
> Oh, I'm not anti-Mac. My first PC was an Apple IIe, complete with a
> cp/m co-processor card. The first pc virus I ever saw was on an early
> Mac. It came with the 3rd party hard drives out company purchased with
> the Mac's.

Yes, PC virii can exist on Mac hard drives but they are harmless to the
Mac. It is only when you provide a path to a pc (connect the hard drive
to the pc, sent the file as an email attachment, etc) that it becomes
harmful, but ONLY to the pc.

--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney