Re: [NTLK] No iNewton announced today

From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Sep 12 2009 - 19:02:49 EDT

Hello,

--- On Sat, 9/12/09, Lord Groundhog <lordgroundhog@gmail.com> wrote:

> But now, it/he/they are just after my money, and if they can get it
> without giving me what I want, they'll still be just as happy.

You know, reading the list can sometimes be a bit rough, as people are constantly saying things I wish *I* had said. :)

And what you've summed up so neatly above is EXACTLY the vibe I get from Apple Inc. that, somehow, I did *not* get from Apple Computer: the feeling that all Apple Inc. wants is my money and that pleasing me is entirely secondary to the all-important task of money-grubbing. To them, I am simply a bank account with legs, not a person with needs and desires that Apple is interested in making a serious effort to strive to satisfy.

Please don't read this the wrong way. I'm not saying that money is not important to a business: it is. But in the days of Apple Computer, the building of devices with features that end users actually *sought* (and were anxious to see made tangible) seemed to be the primary focus. And while the money *did* come in in fairly prodigious quantities, it was almost as though the influx of cash was an entirely natural by-product of their making excellent, well-engineered products that you, the purchaser, knew would last.

But now, Apple reminds me more of Microsoft than I ever thought possible. And by that I mean that there's an undercurrent of "take it or leave it" to what Apple does now that simply wasn't there before. That "they are just after my money"-feeling is definitely present and it makes me uneasy about Apple Inc. in a way that was inconceivable not so long ago, when buying Apple Computer products just seemed to be The Right Thing to Do.

I guess that, from my own perspective, Apple is rapidly becoming just like any other company. And that's one of the most infinitely depressing things I've ever found myself typing.

Best,

James Fraser