Re: [NTLK] [OT] Conjure (was no inewton)

From: <Reilly001os_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue Sep 15 2009 - 04:19:51 EDT

Hi Chilton,
I've found dot syntax useful for working with UI controls rather then my own @synthesize/@property methods. Let's me see easily where I'm talking to the UI versus the model in my controller code. I have been careful to find out how to do dot syntax tasks using traditional messages for when I eventually do osx programming (so I can make 10.4/5 apps someday). Fast enumeration I found to be useful for some things, it especially helps for processing NSarray type objects with an unknown amount of elements. Again though, I've been trying to always learn/sort out the traditional way of doing things for compatibility with 10.4 &earlier. Of course iphone OS has always had obj c 2.0 so I'm taking advantage of the new stuff for iPhone apps. I can follow your thinking on using scripts instead of @property/@synthesize for automated getter/setter generation but it proves I'm a novice with all this since I have no idea how you'd actually implement any of that system. That may be the start of a developer aimed product! :)
Its funny your oldest machine is a G5, its so new even compared to most of my daily machines :-) I think my oldest fully working unit is a powerbook 520c (even surfs the net albeit VERY slowly lol). I do have a duo 230 and 270c (and duodocks) but both need various parts, work in progress.

I never really used the vector graphics in the newt but others seemed to love that feature. It'd probably be a good feature for teachers and office folks that make charts a lot.

Glad to hear conjure 4 will eventually (hopefully) get 10.4 support. If you find the older version in the meantime I'd be interested in getting a license for it, even when v4 gets 10.4 support the earlier version may be a good "feature lite" version to offer for lower power machines.

Joe Reilly

>Hi Joe!

It is a very small world. And it's getting smaller, thanks to the Internet.

There are so many things in the Newton OS that I would LOVE to do, and turning vector drawings into hard shapes is one of those. I just haven't gotten around to that yet, and I never was 100% happy with how the Newton did it. I think I didn't understand how it was supposed to work, exactly. But I still have my trusty MP2000, which I bought from one of the people on this list, as memory serves.

I tried the fast iteration thing, but to me, iterating over lists was never the slow part of my app. My slowdowns happen in that part where my brain tries to come up with something at 3AM, and I can't remember how to make some stupid thing work right, and I end up shaking my fist at the screen in a feeble, yet caffeine stoked manner. So I gave up on the fast iterations, because I could never remember how to exactly phrase the questions. And the same goes for that newfangled dot syntax all the Java folk like. I can't figure out where I'm supposed to put the dots, and where I can't put the dots. No, what I really use in Obj-C 2.0 is the @synthesize and @property things, where I can skip writing all that stupid redundant code all the time. But lately, I've started working on scripts to automate that for me, as I sometimes want to make sure that stuff gets done, and being able to walk through the code is definitely worth the extra 30 seconds needed to type all that stuff out.

So I'm slowly coming back to my pre-Leopard roots, with regard to the backwards compatibility of the app.

I'm looking for an older copy, but to be honest, the support from this list has me reconsidering the necessity of a Tiger compatible version. So I plan on taking on that task later this week. Tomorrow's launch of 4.1 will bring a number of Leopard and Snow Leopard features to the table, but they're all things I can easily tuck into their own part of the app, so that a version that works in 10.4 would be just as feasible.

There's the only kicker there--the oldest machine I have that still works is a G5. I *think* I have a G3 that still works, but I need to find a new internal drive for it. I'm not sure if it has Tiger on it or not, though. So testing might be a bit of a chore.

But I do plan on reviving Conjure for Tiger in the very near future.

Thanks!
-Chilton