[NTLK] (OT) Re: iPad and Notes

Daniel Jagendorf bufoamer at nyct.net
Tue Apr 6 15:16:34 EDT 2010

Phatware makes WritePad and WritePad pro.
They aren't optimized for the pad but work.  He also seems to have made a pad version but I don't feel the need to spend the money on it yet.
It is an HWR app.  The pro version bundles Events, Affairs, and a voice memo taker with the basic notes page.
It's flakey; as I wrote earlier it can have trouble with simple words while recognizing obscure ones.  Part of the problem might be that you can set it to recognize what you're working on (symbols, numbers, all capitols, and mixed) which means you have to switch back and forth.
It doesn't seem to include ink settings, so it will always try to recognize your writing.
It is very good with cursive.
It doesn't integrate with other apps, all you can do is email your note or event (not the newton commonality).
I've used it mainly for making lists  (no bullet points or check lists)

The reverse is Dan Bricklen's Note Taker, which lets you write and sketch in ink (and now includes typing).
It has no recognition, you write in ink and it stays that way.  The results can be emailed as a pdf.  It hasn't been optimized for the pad.

There's an app for the pad called SketchNotes which mixes typing and drawing, and I suppose you could write in the draw mode without recognition.

Ultimately you won't get the newton universality where writing in notes can create an event or todo.  Whatever you do stays in the app unless you email it.

The styluses won't give you the hard point feel of writing with a pen, and that's an individual choice.

Checklists and bullet points are part of Numbers; various forms are included in Pages.

It's true that all of these things have to be purchased individually; the cost, however, is still less than the original newton.

Obviously I like the iPad, and I will try to answer some of the criticisms and concerns.  It comes down to what you want out of it and it's never going to be all things to all people.

Dan J