[NTLK] MessagePad 2100 recell problem

Gavin Watson gavin83209 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 00:44:09 EDT 2010

On Aug 9, 2010, at 8:07 PM, Gavin Watson wrote:

> I'll resolder all the temporary joints and report back.

I resoldered everything and it worked flawlessly for the couple
minutes that I tested it reporting a stable, nearly full battery, even
with the backlight on.  I went to glue the end cap back on and found
that the joint I made between the yellow square and the battery was a
bit too bulky and filed it down.  It now works  much more reliably
than before, but I apparently got a little carried away.  It is now
intermittent again.  Now that I know what the problem is, it should
take about 10 minutes to reinforce it early tomorrow morning.  Thank
you again for the help.  I couldn't have done it without that little
bit of advice.  I look forward to wire free Newton use on something
more capable than my MP 110.

Mostly for my memory but also the benefit of others looking into this
on the list archive, what I did  to the yellow square was I took a
strand out of some twisted copper wire about 1.5 inches long and
folded it in half, then used pliers, a 60 Watt iron (probably
overkill, though my 25W wasn't up to the job) and a little bit of 18-
gauge 60-40 solder to keep it in place.  If you can cover both ends of
the loop at the middle of the copper wire with solder, it is very
secure.  I then waited 30 seconds for it to cool and used a pair of
needle-nosed pliers to bend the excess wire into a shape that would
fit over each of the contacts on the battery.  Nothing special, just a
few bends.  I then soldered each end back on.  Make sure that it the
joint isn't much more than 1.5 mm or _maybe_ 2 mm tall or it will not
fit in the casing.  I used regular plastic model cement to secure the
cover on the end again.  If you didn't break yours off by mistake,
this doesn't apply.