[NTLK] MessagePad 2100 recell problem

Gavin Watson gavin83209 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 23:07:36 EDT 2010

On Aug 7, 2010, at 7:49 PM, Forrest Buffenmyer wrote:

> Sorry to ask you this, it's such an elemental question...but you are
> soldering these connections, right? I'm referring to your mention of
> the reattachment of the yellow square, above.
>
> I ask this because, when I did my first pack, I didn't see the need
> to solder the wires from positive tip to negative base. "Certainly
> just having them press together will be all the contact they require."
>
> Wrong answer! I would guess there was too much resistance...and it
> didn't work.
>
> Please accept my apologies if this doesn't apply, and you are
> soldering everything. Again, maybe a dumb question...but I'm trying
> to think of other potential possibilities to solve your problem.

That's a thought.  I initially soldered everything, but have made
modifications with tape and wire to save a bit of time.  I intended to
solder everything down when I got it to work.  That (resistance) seems
to be consistent with the problem where it briefly turned itself on,
as well.  If there was just barely too much resistance, there is a
chance that the battery meter would change often, as described in the
first email.  I'll resolder all the temporary joints and report back.

It isn't a dumb question.  It is a lot like technical support phone
calls.  They have to ask "Is the device on?  …Good.  Is it plugged
in?  …Good," and the like because some people just don't think about
it.  Likewise, the question that might frustrate more veteran Newton
battery recellers applied to myself.  I have always maintained that
there aren't stupid questions, just stupid people.  In this case, I'm
the stupid person.  It was a very good question.

Thank you again for the help.  I would literally never have thought of
making sure that everything is soldered down when copper wire is used
for almost every other household device on the planet.