[NTLK] Purchasing a newton

Bryan N Iotti ironsides.medvet at gmx.com
Thu Aug 19 09:14:03 EDT 2010

I'm running a 2100 with a 16MB Card, I love it and wouldn't change it for anything else.

I use DateMan on a daily basis, excellent for my task management needs.
NewtToDo is great for ToDo lists, also on a GTD basis if you're so inclined.

Convert! is always handy.
Pocket Quicken is nice, if and when I remember to do my bills.
proCALC EX has many features that allow you to do without a calculator.

Then I use the built in notepad a lot, along with Works when serious stuff is needed. I have the calculations, database (Ebase), drawing and spreadsheet (quickfigure) modules installed, along with SpellWorks for spell checking. I have both keyboard and dongle now, so I don't need the extensions to activate HWR in Works.

One of the main programs, that I actually use so much I had almost forgotten I had installed, is DashBoard by FiveSpeed Software. It's amazing: menus for your apps, scripts, auto freeze and thaw, shortcuts to align pen, -10061 and reboot... The Works! Definitely worth the purchase. Couple it with Avi's Backdrop and PowerPrefs, and you're all set.

I'm a vet student, so I also use Virtual Intern and its calculator (4$ on eBay) for patient tracking. Small Talk is a language translator that is always handy, since I travel a lot (I have Italian, my main language, English, German, French and Spanish).

I didn't mention Mail V, newt's Cape, nTox, Nitro and the rest of the NIE packages because some of those are more for fun and backup than for actual use. the NIE stuff I also need to connect to my Mac using NCX.

For games, Sudoku Workpad is great, keeps me a lot of company. Deep Green is another good one. Newton Books from UNNA are cool, good way to always have something to read if you'd like.

Enjoy!

Bryan