[NTLK] The Apple Tablet (aka iNewt) saga, part 4,037,862

Ryan Vetter physicalconstants at yahoo.ca
Mon Jan 11 18:49:32 EST 2010

That glass on MacObserver, pretty sure it's fake.  If it's not, it's just for prototype purposes.

As for the prop arm, Apple should take a hint from the Archos 5 or the Wacom Tablets.  That prop arm is really cool and without it, it will be annoying to have to carry a separate stand if you want to use it as a screen for watching movies or for text input with a bluetooth keyboard.  And this wouldn't be the first time they built something like this into a device (i.e. iBook Clamshell with built in handle).

What I expect is a landmark product for Apple.  This thing should actually be even bigger than the iPhone in terms of rocking the computer industry.  I say this because a full-size Apple Tablet computer is, to my knowledge, the longest running research product in Apple's history, where zero products have shipped.  It started in the early 80s, then through to the 90s with prototypes like the Penlite, and, at the turn of the 20th Century, they went from researching and developing a modern PDA to a multi-touch tablet that ended up as an iPhone.

Thus, we got the miniature version of the Tablet first.  It was the power and software issues that caused delays with the Tablet project.  Now, according to Apple, both those issues are fixed.

All these years later, we should finally see the full Apple tablet.  It's because of this, because they have worked so hard and long on this, because we can see how advanced Apple's tablet-intended multi-touch is via use of the iPhone, that this product should send shock waves throughout the industry.

I hope it does.  And if it is what we think, others won't hesitate partnering.  I think of it this way: The iPhone has set the stage, the Tablet is going to bring home the gold.  From consumers to vertical markets, the tablet is going to secure a marketshare larger than even Apple has ever imagined.

That's my prediction.  Ready to eat words ;)