[NTLK] The Apple Tablet (aka iNewt) saga, part 4,037,862

Ryan Vetter physicalconstants at yahoo.ca
Mon Jan 11 21:25:28 EST 2010

Hi:

Thanks for chiming in.  Actually, with the advances in lithium polymer batteries, they are not that heavy, especially when it is non-removable without all of the apparatuses in place that add weight to removable batteries.  I also based my prediction about a very large battery on the fact that the iPhone itself has a 'huge' battery proportionally.  About 40% of the iPhone is a battery.

If you are familiar with the MacBook Air, you will know just how small and light they can make entire motherboard.  Since this tablet will likely not have a keyboard or disc drive, just a screen, they can afford, weight wise, to add a large battery.  So no keyboard, no disc drive, no trackpad, just a few ports... they can easily fill it full of a unibody battery and still have it come in well under 2.5 lbs.

As for 6 hours, I say real world.  Although Apple has claimed something close to 8 hours battery life on their 17" MacBook Pro, real world tests point to 5.5.  So they could advertise 10 hour battery life, if you like quoting Apple's battery life statements.  But when used for real, it will end up being about 6 hours.  That's my prediction.  When you factor in LED screens, a resource intensive operating system complete with wifi, bluetooth, and flash heavy internet, I doubt, with current battery technology they will break the real world 6 hour barrier.
With the Newton, we've got power efficient ARM processors with a low resolution black and white screen, and not much in the way of network connectivity.  Throw a wifi card in the Newton and start surfing, and it will eat the battery fairly quickly.