[NTLK] Globetrotter GPRS group buy?

Bradley Loeding bradley.loeding at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 19:34:39 EST 2010

Yes, it looks like the last of analog services were shutdown last
year. I'm not an expert in the plethora of cell protocol acronyms and
generations. However, this linux how-to indicates that the original
Option Globetrotter is a GSM/GPRS card and can initiate both GSM mode
& GPRS data mode calls.

http://www.pharscape.org/GlobeTrotterGPRShowto

Wikipedia states that GSM is all digital in both signaling and speech
channels. I believe the GPRS protocol rides over GSM making it a
"2.5G" technology. I would assume the Globetrotter could still be
used... Current 3G networks should be backwards compatible. Any cell
geeks out there please chime in.

Is anyone currently using a cell network with the Newton? Has anyone
used a cell network in the past w/ the Merlin, GT, or Nokia who now
cannot?

-Brad