[NTLK] Y2010 Lending Card Updates

R A Parker QuadzillaNET at SBCGlobal.NET
Fri Jan 15 01:06:00 EST 2010

Yes, the intent is to prep a standardized 4MB card that contains anything
and everything to get a MessagePad 2000/2100 or eMate 300, patched, updated
and reloaded... from a completely brainwiped setup, if necessary.

This is done by downloading all ROM update packages, NIE, Ethernet and WiFi
drivers, into the InOut box using Newt's Cape. Once they are in the InOut
box, these packages are able to be "Put Away" to any compatible Newton
model.

This is where the excitement begins....

The InOut box doesn't care that one package (or another) is (or is not)
compatible with the particular Newton you are working on. It simply sees a
.pkg and it's just there, waiting to be "Put Away." This is how I updated
my eMate. My 2100 I updated nearly the same way, but ran in to some
learning experiences.

First, we all know (most of us who own eMates) that they are very picky
about Read/Write-ability of the Linear Flash card which is inserted into
the PCMCIA slot. Since I have both a 2100 and an eMate, I prepared the card
using my MP2100. When I slide the card into my eMate, it reports that "I
cannot write" to this type of card.

That's OK because the eMate can still use the card in "Read Only - Write
Protected" mode. When I go to the InBox, select the 73J186 ROM patch and
"Put Away" the patch to the internal (default) store of my eMate. Viola! A
message popped up saying that installation was successful, please restart
your Newton.

BINGO! I prefer that the card is "Write Protected" for sending it around as
a Lending Card. In this way, nothing can be accidently deleted or changed.

Next goal... Creating a backup file of the 4MB Y2010 Lending Card. By
placing the 4MB card in my eMate and, using NCU (Newton Connection
Utilities) or NBU (Newton Backup Utility), I can create a backup file (on
either a Mac or a PC) of this 4MB Lending Card. This backup file can be
sent via email to anywhere in the world. Are you still reading this?

Tonight, I'm finishing the formatting of the NewtonPress eBook aka  "The
Newton OS and Y2010" readme. Eckhart's website is the source of most of the
content because the basic procedures haven't changed. I'm sure he won't
mind and credit is given to him appropriately. Additionally, I've prefaced
his information with the instructions of how to use the Y2010 Lending Card
and how to "Put Away" the packages in the right order. It's that easy.

Once I finish the Readme. I will finalize the format and layout of the 4MB
Lending Card. It will be tested this weekend by brainwiping my 2100 and
then restoring it to a clean state.

After testing, I will make two backup files of this card. One for a Windows
NCU connection, the other for a Mac NCU connection. The backup files can be
emailed or downloaded, you just need an NCU connection, Mac Classic or
Windows PC to restore the files. You can create your own Lending Card or
just use it for creating a Patch/Restore card, to fix any Newton.

Lastly, I will wait with fingers crossed, hands clasp and forehead pressing
the refresh button on my browser, waiting for the next release of the Y2010
ROM Patches from Eckhart Kšeppen. Expect an updated Lending Card backup
soon thereafter.

--
Sent with GoFetch and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
       |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM