[NTLK] Daring Fireball calls Newton "The Original Tablet"

Grant Hutchinson grant at splorp.com
Fri Jan 15 17:47:13 EST 2010

Yesterday's post by John Gruber over at Daring Fireball credits the
Newton as the original 'tablet' computer, as opposed to the Windows-
based Tablet PC. I'm not sure if I agree that the Newton was the first
'tablet' computer, as I own several pen-based GridPad portables that
were commercially released years before the Newton. In fact, I don't
even think that the Newton should even be considered a 'tablet' as
such, but the article is quite a good read regardless.

A quick snippet:

" [...] Thinking of the Newton got my gears turning. It’s a
fascinating comparison point for both the iPhone and whatever it is
Apple is set to release. I suspect most of you reading this have never
used, let alone owned, a Newton, which is a shame. They really were
remarkable, innovative devices."

http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/the_original_tablet

g.

Grant Hutchinson