[NTLK] Fact Check

M. Horvat redjazz_slo at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 21 09:48:08 EST 2010

> -The OMP could send and receive faxes with the optional
> external or compact fax/modem card

It could send, but it couldn't receive, and neither could any Newton before OS 2.0. Many other modems were supported too.

> -The OMP could receive both voice and text messages with
> the optional Newton Messaging Card - text messages would
> display on Newton's screen

The Messaging Card could only receive alphanumeric pager messages.

> -The OMP could send text messages to other Newtons
> wirelessly, that themselves had the Newton Messaging Card

See above.

> -The OMP could not wirelessly send faxes

Theoretically it could, but:
- I don't know of any wireless modem compatible with it
- If there was ever a supported wireless modem card, it probably drew too much power from the Newton. The limit was increased in the MP120. But then again, the Messaging Card worked in the OMP too, so...

> Thanks for any input!!!

Whatever... isn't it weird how everyone thinks that early Newtons were no more advanced than a Psion Organiser?

-Matej Horvat