[NTLK] Fact Check

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Thu Jan 21 18:29:11 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants at yahoo.ca> wrote:

>> -The OMP could send text messages to other Newtons
>> wirelessly, that themselves had the Newton Messaging Card
>
> Horvat said: "See above."
>
> My reply: Here, I am still confused.  The brochure for the OMP says: "Newton can send messages to another Newton through thin air"
>
> Reference:
>
> http://www.macmothership.com/gallery/newads12/93_newton02.jpg

That would be regarding the built-in infrared port.

> Then I turned up this article, which says that not only can alphanumeric messages be received, they can also be sent.  Also Email can be sent and, presumably, received, wirelessly, to/from other Newtons, presumably only those on the messaging system.  Further, news services (data) could also be delivered to the Newton user wielding the Messaging Card.
>
> Reference 1:
>

> http://books.google.com/books?id=qDsEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA35&lpg=PA35&dq=newton+messaging+card+voice&source=bl&ots=_DKpQTnDJu&sig=07GvG5-VxyGfe30zaZwmjRTrajE&hl=en&ei=ocpYS4DNBoq2M5CQneAC&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CBoQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=newton%20messaging%20card%20voice&f=false

I only skimmed this article, but it was speculative regarding future
plans, the first stage of which was receiving only.

> Reference 2:
>
> http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1290&dat=19930731&id=tesPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=iI4DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6519,7947464

And this article clearly states that the Motorola card was receive-only.

I really have no further knowledge and would love to find out if it
could send as well. Keep digging.

Does anyone else have further info?

Morgan Aldridge
---