[NTLK] My new serial cable

Tony Kan tonykan at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jan 27 16:03:35 EST 2010

I have used Win98SE in MS Virtual PC and got a reliable connection with an AMD
single core 1GHz, 1GB machine without Slowdown.

Cheers

Tony

[snip]
FWIW: I use NCU on an LG notebook (Intel 2 CPU T5600, 1.83Ghz) running XP
Pro with Slowdown. I'm not sure we are using the same version of slowdown.
Mine is a 2" square window with two sliders-Seed & Reaction. I only use the
speed slider and find that I require about 5 instances of Slowdown at max
reduction in order to get a stable connection. I use the Keyspan USA-19HS
serial adapter. I've found that if there is any misalignment of the planets
or the speed of dust has changed, I may have to run a sixth instance of
slowdown with the slider at 50%. It took some experimenting to come up with
this combination. My test was doing a backup. Most of the time I didn't get
an error until it came to backing up packages. Everything else backed up
fine.

I'm surprised you are getting away with only one instance of Slowdown. Of
course, depending on your processor and  flavor of Slowdown YMMV. Have you
tried any more instances or increasing the percentage of Slowdown to see if
that helps? I can't speak for individual files as I'm usually just backing
up everything. HTH.
[snip]