[NTLK] iPad

Ryan Vetter physicalconstants at yahoo.ca
Thu Jan 28 17:28:24 EST 2010

Oh, and, I see lots of comments on HWR.  While that would be great to have it, it's also slow to input lots of information this way too.  When you think about it, inputting text with an on screen keyboard may actually be faster and easier.  Where I see a stylus of use on this is for graphic design, directly on the screen.  But the device does not support direct stylus input with it's glass screen, barring third party, 'spongey' solutions.

HWR would really come into its own, if you could write anywhere on the screen, and it would render your writing directly in the location and within the application you are writing in.  For example, Mail.  If you start writing in the message area, your writing stays within that message area.  There is no yellow notepad that pops up, getting in the way of everything else.  That is more natural, and more how the Newton worked.  Then, it would be converting your handwriting on the fly.

But handwriting is not a solution for large amounts of text.  It's not that the software is too slow, it just takes too long to write things out like that.  Speech recognition is a solution, as those who came to WWNC can attest to.  A bluetooth keyboard is also a solution to inputting large amounts of text.  The on-screen keyboard... I will make the most of it.  Let's see how it turns out.  But the way I see it, speech recognition is the killer input method for this.  This is a device that is supposed to sort of disappear, and let you experience the web, multi-media, even while doing production work.

If you can combine this experience with speech recognition, where you just say things, as fast as you want, and it gets converted into text, it will be that much more compelling.  MacSpeech Dictate on OS X is already amazing.  I hope we see it ported to the iPhone OS.

I know speech recognition has limitations in terms of environment, but if you really think about it, I doubt most people are inputting large amounts of text in noisy, non-private places when using a keyboard.  We do those things in our offices, airport lounges.. quieter places.