[NTLK] ipad

James Wages james at kiramek.com
Fri Jan 29 08:24:19 EST 2010

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:31:56 -0500  Sonny Hung <sonnyhung at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure why people are so harsh in their opinions at times about
> the iPad just out of the gate.

Sonny, I know your comments were directed at everyone who had anything
negative to say about the iPad, but I wish to point out that my feelings
were the same prior and after the release.  My post, which no one cared to
comment on, is here:

http://marc.info/?l=newtontalk&m=126465984719401&w=2
(Note the "bugs" I found in that engadget video.)

Here are some reactions that CNN posted today:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/01/28/ipad.reactions/

I still want to know what I, someone who doesn't have an iPhone or an iPod,
is going to use this new product for.  I use a Newton 2100 all the time and
I find it useful, but I like to input some things via the stylus which the
iPad does not allow.  Multitouch is great for many things, as you can see on
all the iPad videos demoing usage, but it is not a 100% replacement of the
stylus.

> MONEY is the reason Apple put this out.

I agree with that statement.  Do I!  But I am also viewing this as a
consumer, not merely as "what is best for Apple."  And I say this being an
AAPL investor too.  As an AAPL investor, I think it's great.  As an end
buyer, I am still waiting for someone to show me why I need it, without
drawing references to the iPhone or iPod -- products which I do not
currently own, and for good reason: I don't see why I need them.

>Let's just... enjoy it if it's useful for us.

I personally don't buy things until I consider them useful first.  And since
I still don't know how practical this iPad would be for me, I have no
immediate plans to buy one.  Hence, the enjoyment spoken of here is
presently on hold for now.

But again, if I can be shown why I need it, being given a better reason than
"because it will support Apple's bottom line," then perhaps I can make a
better informed purchase evaluation of the product.

In the end, I don't say all this to rip the new product. I remain a tried
and true Apple supporter, with my heart, mouth and money.  But even prior to
this tablet product's release, I had a gut feeling it would be a glorified
iPod Touch.  And from what I see now, it is that.  So, in light of that, I
am struggling to see why I need it.  If I were alone in thinking this way,
my thoughts would matter nothing at all.  But from what I have been reading
on the net, many others are thinking the same way.  So what this means is
that some of us need better reasons (better than what we have seen thus far)
to pay money for this new product, however outstanding it may be in its own
right.

Sincerely,

James Wages