[NTLK] ipad

Sonny Hung sonnyhung at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 09:37:18 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 8:24 AM, James Wages <james at kiramek.com> wrote:

> Sonny, I know your comments were directed at everyone who had anything
> negative to say about the iPad

Hey James,

Yeah it sure does come off that way doesn't it. Well my apologies to all if
anyone was offended. I enjoyed reading the various negative views about what
the iPad was not. They offered me insight as to what 1) expectations were of
the Newton Community, 2) wants were of one of the target markets and 3) the
desired functionality of an individual user.

I'm just thinking back to what the Newton offered and some of the possible
outcomes that were reached or almost reached when it was canceled. From that
I'm hoping to hear what others see as the next step for the iPad because
what I see are possibilities. There were some who say wait and see. But
being part of the Newton Community I'd dream of what else might come up next
in software that would extend the iPad, what upgrades will be rolled out
which would expand and possibly offer the features and functionality people
everywhere are expressing in regards to what they'd hope to use the iPad
for.

> http://marc.info/?l=newtontalk&m=126465984719401&w=2
> (Note the "bugs" I found in that engadget video.)

Yes, we'll hear more of it if it's a real problem. Apple will look into why
this occurred also, maybe it was a glitch or it's still in Beta almost
production quality... who knows..

> Here are some reactions that CNN posted today:
> http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/01/28/ipad.reactions/

Ah, I just read the referenced articles interwoven into that link... It
actually is a mish mosh of ideas which speak of many of my ideas of the
iPad, however it lack the one thought of what it can do now and where that
will lead us....

I still want to know what I, someone who doesn't have an iPhone or an iPod,
> is going to use this new product for.

Yeah, I'd categorize you as one who will have to wait for it to bloom with
features that do what you want it to do. However you can use it for what it
already does, but those are not going to tip the scales at this time for you
to buy.

> > MONEY is the reason Apple put this out.
>
> I agree with that statement.  Do I!  .... I don't see why I need them.

I've got to say everyone has to step out of their box and do what I call
Imagine.
Think of the Newton, what it could do out of the box, and back then could we
imagine it having WiFi access? Bluetooth? ATA? or even Einstein now? I'd
have to say most of us would not even think that far. But if we were to
Imagine what could be possible then maybe, just maybe in the near future we
would be doing what we want or need to do on the iPad. Not saying that it
will happen, but if someone has the money to do it then it will get done.

> >Let's just... enjoy it if it's useful for us.
>
> I personally don't buy things until I consider them useful first....Hence,
> the enjoyment spoken of here is presently on hold for now.

This also links in with the above item for me.

> But again, if I can be shown why I need it, being given a better reason
> than
> "because it will support Apple's bottom line," then perhaps I can make a
> better informed purchase evaluation of the product.

Unfortunately for me all I can suggest is Wait And See ^_^.

But even prior to this tablet product's release, I had a gut feeling it
> would be a glorified
> iPod Touch.  And from what I see now, it is that.  So, in light of that, I
> am struggling to see why I need it.  If I were alone in thinking this way,
> my thoughts would matter nothing at all.  But from what I have been reading
> on the net, many others are thinking the same way.

My grey matter no matter how glitchy it is at times is pondering what will
the future hold that we have not seen handed on a silver tray to us at it's
introduction. I'm thinking that there are many venues for this product and I
wish I had the capital and resources to implement my ideas. I'd have to
pitch it with a five year plan - but without an actual product this will
never happen. However I will think out loud that this product which shares
the lineage of the iPhone and iPod Touch will begin to invade other areas
more such as education. This will possibly be what the eMate 300 could have
been if it were to have evolved. The various other iterations of Newton
MP2000 such as the Watson could come to be in the Medical Field.The use of
MP2000 by Disney & NHSDA in conducting surveys. These are all things could
evolve from the iPad. We got a lot of pieces that could come into play but
the main issue will be is it profitable for someone to implement it (whom
ever that may be). I say in some respects yes, but we will see how it all
plays out. HWR, well that one is a tough call which will depend on Apple. I
would prefer that this would be done in house by them and not by a third
party.

I'll be likely buying one or two when I'm financially able to because I'm
hoping to get them for my kids. I foresee a plethora of innovation focused
in education in the near future which will be used to help educate my two
kids ages (almost) 4 & 8. I'm not too concerned about my personal use,
though I'd love to have one... sit and Imagine with me the possibilities and
what you and I might use this or the next iteration for.