[NTLK] QuickFigure / Spreadsheet questions (OT)

Mike Rodgers pmiker at copper.net
Sun Jan 31 21:07:41 EST 2010

I do have a recipe for creating a starter and using that.  And I have
done this successfully in the past year.  However, the recipes are more
complex, take longer, and no 2 authors can agree as to the consistency
of the starter.  This is called sourdough and personally I do not feel
that the taste difference between home cultivated yeast and purchased
yeast justifies the work.  With store bought yeast I can still create
multi-stage breads requiring long slow rises.  Making it in winter
requires a proofing bin where I can regulate the temperature.  My normal
house temperature in winter (65) is a mite too cool for most
breadmaking.  And you have to feed starters routinely to keep them
alive.  If you do not bake every couple of days, you toss out part.
Thus, more waste.

I guess I just ain't a sourdough kind of guy.
Mike