[NTLK] Manybooks.net is interesting

Aaron Brigati abrigati at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 18:44:13 EDT 2010

On Jun 1, 2010, at 2:03 PM, M. Horvat wrote:

>> The Newton is superior in E-book reading to the Kindle or
>> Nook?  How so?
>
> No DRM.

Every e-ink reader out there can display no-DRM e-books. They can
also display books that /have/ DRM, meaning you can read current
novels that you can't read on a Newton.

While I don't like DRM, and strip it from the titles I buy, very few
publishers will allow e-books without it. (Baen Books sells no-DRM e-
books of their stuff; at a good price too. If you like military sci-
fi, since that's most of their catalog, anyway.)

> You can print or fax pages.

Not really needed in a _reader_. If I wanted to print books, then I'd
have a printout to read! :)

> You can backup them.

Ditto with any e-reader.

> You can copy their text.

Possible on the fancier, more expensive models. Not something I'd
find especially useful with a _reading_ device, though.  If I really
needed to excerpt text from one of my e-books I'd open it with reader
software on my desktop.

> You can annotate them... with handwriting and sketches!

Again, possible on the more expensive models, but not useful enough
for most people to spend the extra money.  (The iLiad comes in about
the same price as a high-end smartphone.)

> You can make your own books, and convert existing ones.

Possible with any e-reader.

> You can use standard AA batteries. (Although they do not last as
> long as on dedicated readers)

True enough. Though I have a little gizmo that takes two AA batteries
and will charge a USB device; it gives me about a 70% charge on my
reader. I mostly use it for my cell phone, which is a terrible
battery hog. :/

> And on some models there's even a backlight.

No argument with that, although I find I don't need one except when
it's REALLY dark. Since I'm old enough to not have to read under the
covers, it's not that big an issue. :)

--Aaron