[NTLK] Manybooks.net is interesting

Dan dan at dbdigitalweb.com
Wed Jun 2 02:28:51 EDT 2010

I have used a Newton as my primary ebook reader for a long time now.
Newtonbooks being the format of choice. I still love to use my newton
and with the New York font set to 12 and bold it is very very easy to
read for long periods of time.

I recently have purchased a Nook device which uses E-ink technology.
And it works very well.  However I do dislike the slowness of the screen
draw and the "flash" that has been discussed.  Granted it is fairly new
techology but still it is a good device.  Reads several types of ebooks
(epub being the best).  Just plug in the nook to any computer and it
comes up as a flash drive.  Copy the books over and done.  I did a lot
of research before I purchased a Nook and it has the features I have
wanted in a ereader for a long time.  I still prefer no DRM (aka
encryption) but the method it does use is called eReader which uses the
name and credit card number to encrypt the book.  No crazy certificates
or other odd proection methods and it is unlikely to be broken by a
future update.  As long as you remember which credit card used to
purchase the book and your name you can always read your book.  And
should technology change to the point where you can't use eReader for
some odd reason...you can decrypt the book (although definitely frowned
upon it is possible).  Also you can purchase ebooks from many publishers
that use the eReader format such as Fictionwise.  You are not locked to
buying from only one publisher or store.

In short I still love my newton and use it for ebooks but I am also
enjoying my Nook.  Btw for those that like to use a dedicated device
there is a great program for managing ones ebook collection and
downloading to the device.  It also has the ability to download
newsfeeds and create a ebook.  Works very well.
http://calibre-ebook.com/  It is also open source.  You could
conceivably use it with a newton as well.  Just have it create text or
RTF files which you could newtonbook and install on your newton.

-Dan