[NTLK] Manybooks.net is interesting

Jim Lee jimlee at centurytel.net
Wed Jun 2 02:51:05 EDT 2010

On Jun 1, 2010, at 11:28 PM, Dan wrote:

>  Btw for those that like to use a dedicated device
> there is a great program for managing ones ebook collection and
> downloading to the device.  It also has the ability to download
> newsfeeds and create a ebook.  Works very well.
> http://calibre-ebook.com/  It is also open source.  You could
> conceivably use it with a newton as well.  Just have it create text or
> RTF files which you could newtonbook and install on your newton.

This is a very good point.  I have been using Calibre for a couple of years now to manage ebooks for both the Sony Reader and the iPod Touch.  An excellent companion to Calibre is Stanza (http://www.lexcycle.com) which runs as an ebook reader on the Mac as well as the iPod Touch/iPhone.  If you know Python, you can do quite a bit of customization with Calibre, though I only needed to do that for a very esoteric format conversion.  I'm sure that a plug-in for the Newton could be written if there were enough interest.

-Jim