[NTLK] A few basic questions from a new disciple...

Jack Jenkins jackmjenkins at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 19:27:38 EST 2010

NewtonTalk folks,

Hello!  My name is Jack, and I acquired a Newton MessagePad 130 - and I love it.  Don't misunderstand, I'm not new to the Apple game: I've been a stalwart apple-only user since the 1984 (even through the dark era that was the 90s).  Still, while I have always HEARD about the Newton community, I will admit that I am completely new to this game...

Thus, I suppose I'm what you call a "total newbie" to this gig.

As such, I hope that you'll kindly help a new advocate with some pretty basic questions, and I apologize if these have been asked thousands of times before!

1) My Newton came with a stylus, case, keyboard and a plug-in charger.  It did not, however, come with anything to plug it into my computer.  I understand that any wire I do get will require a converter to work with USB, but I was curious as to a) where I could procure such a wire (and what I would be looking for if I did) and b) is there any other way to connect this thing to my older MacBook Pro running 10.6.2?  It has a IrDA port, but I'm clueless as to how to set up a connection.  Also, I'm aware that 10.6 effectively killed appletalk (which the Newton needs) - is this true?

2) My Newton won't let me set the date in 2010.  I've heard that there is a "2010 problem" with the Newton, but I've only seen fix patches for a 2000-series Newtons.  Is there a way/tutorial that allows me to set the correct date on my MessagePad 130?

3) There is no "settings" panel in the "extras" bin of my Newton.  I know it's supposed to be there, but it's not.  What gives?

I have many, many more questions, but I thought I'd get the basics out of the way first.  Thank you so much to anyone that can lend me a hand - I love this thing, and I just want to know how to take full advantage of it!

Thanks again!

- Jack