[NTLK] Who here thinks the iPad is a worthy replacement for the Newton?

Forrest Buffenmyer anasazi4st at me.com
Sun Mar 14 14:17:59 EDT 2010

>Don't get me wrong: I think it's great that you have access to a quiet environment in which you can make good, effective use of voice recognition software, but please believe me when I tell you that not everyone is always lucky enough to be able to input information under quiet, controlled conditions.  To say nothing of the fact that voice recogntion requires you to speak out loud, which is the easiest way I know of to provide other people with access to the information you're dealing with.

I was at the Grand Canyon in April 1986 at sunrise. about 6:15 am, It was wonderfully quiet and peaceful...just the sound of the wind blowing and, down inside the canyon, an occasional eagle or hawk screeching.

Until, that is, Joe Tourist and his wife showed up with a video camera. "HERE WE ARE AT THE GRAND CANYON!", he bellowed, presumably so the mic on the camera would pick up his voice clearly, and loud enough to frighten nearby deer in the bushes.

I decided right then I *never* wanted to be "that guy"...and with voice recognition instead of HWR, I see that being a distinct possibility.

--Forrest