[NTLK] Who here thinks the iPad is a worthy replacement for the Newton?

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 17:51:51 EDT 2010

~~~ On 2010/03/19 21:24, Forrest Buffenmyer at anasazi4st at me.com wrote ~~~

> I've gone from device to device, "settling" each time. "This doesn't do
> 'this'...but it does 'THAT'!. Do I NEED 'that'? Well, 'this other thing' does
> almost the same function as 'that'."
>
> I don't have to settle with the Newton. With all the alternatives so far...I
> do. I have to give something up and find something to take its place.

Really, when I get down to it, this says it for me.  I keep coming back to
one thing:  if I wanted to incorporate an iPad into my gadget kit, I'd have
to do without something I currently depend on, or else carry an extra
gadget.  Currently I carry my Newton (at least until I have a Newt-shaped
pouch surgically constructed into my body), my MacBook, and 2 phones.  That
setup takes me anywhere in the world.  Newt does the real work; the MacBook
does the "pretty" tasks and stuff like formatting documents once I've done
all the writing on my Newton and for now, my internet stuff.   The phones
are self-explanatory.

If I had an iPad, could I leave my MacBook at home?   Hmmm, maybe sometimes,
depending on what the final, real abilities of the iPad turn out to be.  But
not all the time.  And certainly I won't be risking not having my computer
with me if I'm in another country for a couple of weeks or maybe longer.  So
each time I go anywhere, I have to decide what I think I'm going to need and
what I might need, and hope I get it right.  "Well, this would be a good
time to show you this set of files -- oh wait, they're on my computer and I
only have my iPad here.  Oh well, would you like to browse Google Maps
street view instead?"   Somehow I can't see that being popular with clients.

What about leaving my Newton home?  Easier decision.  Never, never, never,
never, never.

Conclusion:  either I don't get an iPad, or I have to carry 5 devices
instead of 4.   With the ever-tightening restrictions on how much can be
carried in on-board luggage on inter-continental and domestic flights, a 5th
device isn't looking too good.

I'll be happy to replace my Newton with another, more modern device, just as
soon as somebody makes one that really will *replace* my Newton.  Without
making me "settle".

Shalom.
Christian

            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant