[NTLK] Who here thinks the iPad is a worthy replacement for the Newton?

slashlos slashlos at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 21 21:29:25 EDT 2010

Yup I bought the 512ke for $1600, which was way more than the then Atari 512 or the IBM pc; yet my mac still boots and runs fine. I've had 3 newtons; sold two but kept my orig 130.

To look at the costs of mac vs. others, look out at 3 years. The savings in time etc in having a near worry free computer can't be measured.

I know countless students etc who bought a mac, with AppleCare, vs those who bought a pc with a store warranty or oem warranty. All's well until something goes wring, then the finger pointing starts. For me the mac cost perception is higher up front but it's worth it. Everyone keeps a pc at least 3 years after all.

It's sad the plague that seems to sprout from pcs; I used to thing it was part self inflicted, part malicious, perhaps poor design; don't know but it's long overdue getting fixed.

I hear m$ is staffing or starting apple like stores with one stop support, an item that's sorely missed, but whose time I feel might be fleeting. If the ipad becomes a "player pc", that just works, and will see apps like iworks etc. then they may be too little too late. I hope not because good or bad they're part of the playing field.

For me I use a touch, took a while for the ppc like apps I required to show up but I'm happy now, even though apple doesn't view the device as a PDA. So if has to play a dual role as a media player for me to have my PDA like device so be it. It'll be interesting to see how the ipad will be deployed.

Now if it ever got Photoshop...! ;-)
--
/los "I was a teenage net-random"