[NTLK] [OT] National Anthems. Was: OK. I saw this and I just had to send it!

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Fri May 28 08:32:13 EDT 2010

~~~ On 2010/05/28 04:51, Michael Hurley at mephit at mac.com wrote ~~~

> Now, just remember what part of a woman could be poetically called a
> flower and what part of a man could be called a vine. Heh. Every now
> and again I feel like breaking out in the original when the anthem is
> being sung, but in the current political climate, it would likely get
> me a ticket to Gitmo.

Michael,

Thanks for that.  Every time I hear or sing the nat-anth, I'll think of this
and smile to myself -- and at myself.

Maybe if we knew a bit more about where our national anthem came from, we'd
have a healthier, less pompous view of ourselves.  Hmmm.  Sounds like an
allegory:  if we all had a clearer idea of where we came from, maybe we
could all have a less pompous view of ourselves.

Oh dear!  Sorry Fridays seem to make me like this.

Shalom.
Christian

            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4