[NTLK] Using Newton - Simple Pleasures Part 2

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 11:33:19 EDT 2010

~~~ On 2010/10/24 14:28, Lord Groundhog at LordGroundhog at gmail.com wrote ~~~

I was in the bank yesterday to transfer some cash, and since I tend to
record such transactions in my Newton, I was writing some notes.   My
banking assistant, someone new to the branch, looked up from her keyboard
and said, "Is that your version of the iPad?"  I said, "No, it's Apple's
earlier version of the iPad" and showed her the Apple logo.  Gave her the
*very* brief account of it, you know, first released in 1992, final version
like mine released 1997, blah blah.  I'd kept writing as I said that because
I wanted to get the details of the transaction right.  That's when she said,
"But you're writing on it, and it's turning it into real letters!"  I
couldn't be casual about it because I started to laugh at how astonished she
was.  The best I could manage was, "Yeah, that's what it does", and then
show her how I could use it to integrate data, like linking that note to the
person I was sending the money to, and how all that was linked to my diary
note to go into the bank to transfer the cash.  She said, "Wow!  That's
easier than on this computer" and finished my transaction for me.  Then she
said those immortal words: "They stopped making them in 1997.  Why?"  I told
her that was a very good question.

Her question should be translated into Latin.  It could be the motto of
NewtonTalk.

Shalom.
Christian

            -- ref.:  Arthur C. Clarke