[NTLK] Using Newton - Simple Pleasures

Forrest newtonphoenix at me.com
Mon Oct 25 16:26:22 EDT 2010

On Oct 24, 2010, at 10:30 AM, "Lloyd A. Conway" <ssgconway at juno.com> wrote:

HWR is the foremost reason for my turning to the Newton. (Greyscale that can be read in direct sunlight is right up there, too.) I tried using an iPod touch in lieu of my previous Newton (a '130), but ended upo giving it to my daughter in favor of the '2000 I now have. Typing isn't for everyone, and I find that it interferes with my creative processes, so being able to write with a stylus, in a way that would've been familiar to Cicero, as opposed to the troublesome QWERTY world we inhabit, is worth all the price of the Newt by itself. (I've tried DVORAK, too, and while it's better than QWERTY, it's not comparable to the freedom of writing in one's own hand.)or clicking on something else.

While poking around the Catamount site (PocketMoney vendor) I found this, which shouldn't be new to more experienced members of the NewtonTalk list.. http://www.catamount.com/HWRTips/HWRTips.html

While I don't personally agree that printing is a better method than cursive, the posting is full of excellent HWR tips.

Lloyd:

I'm happy to see that the damaged serial port problem hasn't dampened your enthusiasm for using your Newton. I can tell you that it's very easy to replace the logic board...the hardest part is finding a parts Newton on someplace like eBay!

I've found that proper handling is very important---don't move the Newton while it's connected with the serial port dongle, *carefully* plug and unplug it, and file the little nibs off the metal part of the dongle to relieve some of the strain of plugging it in.

Thanks,
--Forrest