[NTLK] HyperNewt

Don Zahniser dzahniser at rochester.rr.com
Wed Sep 1 08:09:34 EDT 2010

Bryan N Iotti wrote:

> just thought I'd ask for your opinion on HyperNewt, since I had some
> trouble with it losing my handwritten notes around...

I find HyperNewt to be one of my essential Newton software add-ons.

Do you mean that you have some notes that you know exist that don't show
up in HyperNewt?  If so, try hitting the 'i' box, and choosing
'HyperNewt Utilities'.  From there, you can select 'Find Lost Notes'
which should make them appear at the root level.

> What have your experiences been with it? Could it be that it was
> just incorrectly installed (this was the IR install test)?

Very useful and trouble-free.  I have had the occasional note created by
DateMan not show up until I have done the above.

> Is it really that much better, compared to the normal notepad (ok,
> apart from what you can do with hyperlinks)?

'Better' is highly subjective...

I find HyperNewt essential because of several features (in addition to
hyperlinking) not in the built-in Notepad:

  - Recents/Favorites:  The ability to access recent notes and folders
rapidly, and to designate certain notes as favorites (I use several as
templates, for example).

  - The Toolbar:  Access to Styles, and more flexible scrolling, which
helps avoid the need/desire for additional add-ons.

  - The ability to sort individual folders by title, date and stationery.

  - Hierarchical folders:  Yeah, old habits die hard.  I started off on
MS-DOS and Apple ][ computers, and like the extra flexibility that the
HN folder tree gives.  It also will display the 'path' to the current
folder in the toolbar.

> I'll keep playing around with it, see if I can get it to work right.

In this context, 'right' means if it works the way you need.  It should
work within its feature set pretty flawlessly, in my experience.

You might also try SuperNotePad from Standalone ($10.00).  It offers a
tagging system instead of folders, and the authors really seem to 'get'
the Newton's way of thinking.  Others on the list have extolled its
virtues.  I tried it, and while I liked it, I would have had to rewire
my brain a bit to use it effectively, and HN was serving my needs more
than adequately at the time, and continues to do so.

  - Don