[NTLK] my [OT] rant {was: "pretty interesting" - no puns intended}

L.W. Brown LwBrown at Mail.com
Thu Sep 2 14:46:28 EDT 2010

Not my point at all - I would hope to have been able to teach my child properly, as I am sure you have attempted.

 However, I am an adult, which Apple knows at least as well as they know my credit card for billing. *I* certainly do not need to be reminded /every/time/it's/updated/ that a web browser, or some other app, might allow an under-17-year-old to see something I wouldn't want them to see.
 As for kids - if it were my child, and it bothered me, then I wouldn't let them on the Internet in the first place! Apple CANNOT "keep out" or "control" porn as long as there is any Web access at all, and  it is plain hypocrisy for Apple to say or even imply that they can!
 So, if the parent is concerned, then the parent should decide, not some faceless corporate bureaucrat.
 And what about violence? There is no warning on gory, violent games after they get approved. I know - I have a couple - and I wouldn't let a young kid have them.
 Yes, I suppose Apple has the legal right to rate or label, or maybe even censor, "Apple-approved" apps, but that won't stop a determined kid, and it just annoys other people needlessly.
 It is also insulting, as it assumes that a concerned parent is so uneducated about the Internet even today that they don't already /know/ about objectionable material on the Net, /and/ is so forgetful they have to be reminded about it at every single opportunity.

This is my rant - sorry for the interruption.