[NTLK] Spanish translation of pda-soft: Looking for help

Frank Gruendel newtontalk at pda-soft.de
Tue Sep 28 16:43:34 EDT 2010

Hi all,

a few of you might have noticed that I am currently working on a Spanish translation of my site.
Given my normal working speed, I'm quite optimistic I'll have it ready by the end of this millenium.

It goes without saying... Oops... Doug has recently taught me that if something goes without saying,
there's no need to say it, so...

Needless to say, Newtons and eMates will still be in demand at that time. I see them happily running
inside the iPhone XVIII, whose battery by then will be strong enough to require a charge only every
week. If at all.

Then again, even with modern medicine being as far advanced as it is, it is doubtful that it'll be
me who applies the finishing touch to pda-soft.de.

As for the translation mentioned in the subject line, I'm afraid the rest of this millenium wouldn't
be sufficient if I were to tackle this myself. My knowledge of Spanish is - well - even less
developed than my knowledge of women. And the latter, according to an undisputed expert who happens
to be married to me, is shatteringly underdeveloped.

In other words, I will never be able to do this translation even for a single page, let alone for a
whole site. This is exactly where you might or might not enter the picture.

I'm looking for as many as possible of the following people:

a) People who are native Spanish speakers or who speak Spanish fluently and who are willing to spend
a considerable amount of time translating a page of my site. Since I'm not only working on the
Spanish section, but also getting rid of tables, frames and all the evil stuff NetObjects Fusion has
left behind in the English and German sections, I'd prefer working on each page in a block. In other
words, I'll start working on a different page when the current one is finished in all three
languages. English and German will be tackled by yours truly.

I'm afraid I can't afford spending money on paying you for your work. Come to think of it, I'm not
afraid, I KNOW I can't afford it. Still, such a translation might be your way to fame and the Newton
community's eternal gratitude since I will gladly put something like

	This page was kindly translated by YourNameHere (yourEmailHereIfYouWant)
(yourWebSiteHereIfYouWant)

at the top of each page translated by you. If there's a piece of hardware that you want that I can
live without, or if you need a repair, we might be able to work something out.

b) People who are native Spanish speakers or who speak Spanish fluently, but who wouldn't really
want to spend time and effort on actual translation work. I'll need people to proof-read the
translated pages, and I might ask you the occasional short question like the one yesterday when I
needed abbreviations.

Since this is a Newton list, I fear that most list members would eventually be getting annoyed when
having to read the type of questions I'm going to ask again and again. Of course, the web site in
question IS a Newton site, and the update IS a benefit for the Newton community, but still,
discussions like this should in my opinion be taken off-list unless they are short. So my
communication with people of category a or b would be off-list.

Some words on the "native Spanish speakers or who speak Spanish fluently" thing...

Some of you probably know that I'm a bloody perfectionist. This is the main reason why it takes me
so long to finish things that others finish in a fraction of the time. I hate publishing things that
aren't exactly as I think they should be. Given the fact that I wouldn't have a clue if the
translation is good or bad, or if it has anything to do with what the page is about at all, I'd
really prefer people who speak Spanish fluently. Another reason that makes this almost mandatory is
the fact that German law is pretty strict when it comes to web content. I must be sure that the
Spanish version of a page is very close to what I had in mind when writing it.

Hmm...

Scratching head...

Re-reading this, I'm under the impression that by now I must have deterred almost everyone out
there. But if you aren't everyone, why not get in touch. I promise I will overwork nobody.
Considering that my site has been online since 1999, it's not THAT complex... Expect one page a
month... if at all...

Thanks, all

Frank