[NTLK] Looking for a Bluetooth card

Lord Groundhog lordgroundhog at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 05:56:45 EDT 2011

~~~ On 2011/08/24 08:59, Forrest Buffenmyer at newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
wrote ~~~

> Hmmpf. Well, I guess *I* sit down, corrected. =)
>
> Seriously...Gavin, thanks for this information. I've been told by others (not
> on here) that it was secure enough and they were wrong. I have read the
> material I found in the links you've provided.
>
> Fortunately the only thing that I use a MAC address for security on is my MiFi
> unit...sadly, in order for me to get the Newton to work with it (so I can use
> the wireless Orinico Gold card) I have to use MAC filtering, as the MiFi
> doesn't offer WEP, only WPA. Therefore, then, all my other wireless devices
> must ALSO use MAC address filtering to connect...so, now I'll have to change
> it to WPA, which means the Newton won't be able to connect *sigh*. I don't
> believe there's a way to change the connection security without being USB
> cabled to the unit, so I can't "flip flop" when I use the Newton.

Wouldn't it be possible to create a secondary network either with a another
router or with your computer, with WEP security and that you only turn on
when you want to connect your Newton?  Or am I completely off the wall here?
If it is you could have your main wifi network on WPA and then create the
WEP network only when you want to use it.

I haven't tried it yet but I don't see why it would be impossible.  Over to
the folks who know this stuff.  :-)

Shalom.
Christian

            -- ref.:  Arthur C. Clarke