[NTLK] G3 Death

Ross Deihm adventuresindining at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 16:01:54 EST 2011

David,

I do love my G3, it's a fantastic laptop, but this would be the 4th time
I've gone and started replacing parts to post pone it's death. I have shells
of G3's that I routine scavenge for parts. This particular failure has
me puzzled, I can plug it in, get a green power light flash, then nothing.
Won't boot. Even a hard reset won't boot it. Since I only used it for
backing up my Newt, I figured I could just move on to the 540c which I've
had for ages and it's always booted! I'll miss my G3, but with the
exceptional cost of batteries (50-70 bucks, just did my Dell Laptop for
30!), I think it's time to just move on. Maybe when I'm bored some day I'll
rip it apart and start replacing parts again.

As for the Newton 1.x and 120 usage; I love the form factor. I have no doubt
the 2000 series would blow it out of the water for different uses, I rarely
need that sort of functionality. I generally use the 120 to sort out ideas,
sketches, math, lists and scheduling for events which those projects are
for. I would argue that the Newton Software is the best ever made for
project management, and project implementation. The 120 series is also the
least expensive and therefore easily replaced. I'm on my second one now.
2100 and 2000 are much to nice to run the risk of loss.

When it comes to old technology, I like to think that we went to the moon
with a MHz 2k machine, I should be able to get by with older technology too.

Ross