[NTLK] Weird Firefox behavior: Please do a test for me

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Thu Jun 23 18:18:03 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Frank Gruendel <newtontalk at pda-soft.de> wrote:
> If you are using Firefox, could you please test this for me and let me know
> the outcome off-list? I'd also need to know which FireFox version you used
> and under which OS.

I'm replying onlist, because what I'm seeing is odd enough that others
may want to try this as well...

In Firefox 4.0.1 on my MacBook Pro 2.66mhz 4 gig of RAM, OSX 10.6.7,
highlighting that line bumped its cpu to 100%+. Also, though, clicking
and selecting several other lines did the same, or nearly as
high--near 100%. I got curious, and tried a couple other web pages. It
seemd rather random, but I could repeat this with other entire-line
selections, but not everywhere.

Next, I got _really_ curious, and tried it in Safari, and surprisingly
enough, while the CPU didn't jump to 100%, it did go up
significantly--from well under 10% to over 25%. Oddly, again, trying
other pages would increase CPU time, but nowhere near as much as with
your test page. I can't imagine what's going on, because it doesn't
look like your page has any CSS or JavaScript or anything
unusual--very basic html!

I can only guess that there is something about the text itself that
prompts something in the contextual menus of these apps to go haywire.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland