[NTLK] Help needed: porting Einstein to Android

Griffin, Terence J. terence.griffin at nist.gov
Thu Mar 10 11:40:53 EST 2011

 Clarification: Jailbreaking creates and installs a modified iOS image that lets you install
 stuff without using the app store. When you update iOS that modified image gets
 replaced with the new version, un-jailbreaking it. Usually, very shortly after a new iOS
 comes out, sometime even before (using a beta release), there is a jailbreak that will modify
 the new iOS. Jailbreaks are also, to some degree, hardware dependent. So some devices get
 the jailbreak a bit later. But re-jailbreaking is not hard to do.

 So the answer is to just wait for a new jailbreak before updating iOS.

 Matthias, get a iPod Touch 2G (MB models are easier to jailbreak than MC) or iPhone 3G.
 iOS 4.3 is for iPoads,  iPT 3G and 4G, iPhone 3GS and 4. Jailbreak an older device and you
 don't have to worry about updating iOS! *Usually* iOS changes don't break older programs.
 So if you write Einstein for 4.2, it should on later versions. Of course, you can't take advantage
 of new features and APIs..

 My Mac is PPC Tiger OS, so my jailbreak options are limited (no PC). My iPT 2G is at iOS 4.0
 jailbroken with jailbreakme.com. That kind of the end of the road for me, until I get an new
 computer. That's fine, 4.0 pushes the 2G as much as I care to, and is very capable. I haven't
 decided between Android or an iPhone yet, but I leaning towards Android.

 - Tere