[NTLK] Newton WiFi Setup with Lucent WaveLAN Silver and Verizon Wireless Router

Forrest newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 26 02:22:30 EDT 2012

In a word, no.

Remember that the Newton and the Lucent drivers are from a time when the only authentication was WEP...so unless your local Starbucks is running an encryption method from 1997 (which is highly unlikely), you won't be able to connect there (probably it's much newer WPA or WPA2).

The GOOD news is, now you can experience the way we used to do things. Without sounding like I'm 106 or something--as an example: in the old days when cellphones first became truly portable (and not "bag"-type monstrosities), you only used them for a) emergencies, or b) until you could find a land line (read: pay phone). This was because usage minutes were scarce and expensive.

Similarly, when early devices first were developed to send and receive email, it wasn't like today. You rarely did both and responded instantly from your mobile device in one sitting. Before your left your office or your home you would connect to the Internet through most likely a phone line/modem, and download all your email. Then, either while you were on the bus or train to or from work, you read it and composed your responses. Then, when you reached your destination, you again connected to the Internet and sent those responses, and downloaded any new email, disconnected, wrote your responses...and so on.

So, you COULD download email on the Newton, go to Starbucks, read it, respond, and send it when you got back home. That's about it.

There *were* cellphone adapters that allowed you to connect to the Newton for more modern-style instant email connections...but those were based on analog dual-mode cellphones. The analog cell networks are long gone in most all of the industrialized countries of the world.

Sorry.

Thanks,
--Forrest

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 4