[NTLK] Newton 2000 that won't power up.

Forrest newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 18 00:04:58 EDT 2012

It's 50-50. I once accidentally crossed the polarity while testing a
Brother portable electronic typewriter. It wouldn't power up after
that. I was convinced it was done, but I put it back in the closet
because I thought I could use it for parts.

A couple of years later I cleaned out the closet, found the
typewriter, and (correctly) plugged it in. It powered up and worked
just fine.

I'm not an expert in electronics, so I can't say what happened. I
would ask--when you put your nose down inside the open battery
compartment, or the serial door (where you plug it in) or the PC Card
slot...do you smell anything burned or not right?

Frank has offered in the past to test Newton parts, like your
motherboard. Perhaps you could send him the entire unit. Have you
emailed him inquiring about those possibilities?

Thanks,
--Forrest

"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour
to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly
ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
technology, led them into it in the first place." --Douglas Adams

•Have iPad questions? I'm the Mesa (AZ) iPad Examiner...see what I
write about at http://exm.nr/HYeN8K+
•Small and Medium Business Tech News, Reviews and Analysis: Please
visit http://smb-tech-guide.com/
•Twitter: @FBuffenmyer