[NTLK] Newton Repair Question

James Fraser wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com
Wed May 2 00:57:02 EDT 2012

Hello,

>But repairing a Newton mainboard isn't really that smart these days since
>Stefan, who recently bought J&K's whole stock of Newton parts, is currently
>selling Newton 2x00 mainboards for a very reasonable price.

In the interests of complete information, there's a brief note accompanying the
entry for the motherboards on the Newton Inventory list:

"Motherboards are unsorted MP2100 and MP2000.  Mix of operational and
defective."

I mention this because the exact ratio of defective to operational boards
doesn't appear to be known at this point.   Admittedly, I'm the sort of chap who
tends to think in terms of "worst case" scenarios, but, however unlikely the
event might be, I would not want to see anyone toss a damaged motherboard in
anticipation of replacing it with a working unit when the supply of known
working boards is currently uncertain.

(Call me a worrywart if you like; I won't argue.)

Best,

James Fraser

(Who is currently worried about the baggage retrieval system they've got at
Heathrow.)