[NTLK] [OT] Sandy threatens financial/economic Armageddon

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 13:18:52 EDT 2012

~~~ On 2012/10/28 13:19, Michael Tiernan at michael.tiernan at gmail.com wrote
~~~

> And what the hell does *ANY* of this have to do with the Apple Newton
> Messagepad?
> If the answer is "None", take it to a more appropriate venue, this isn't it!

No doubt I shouldn't stick my nose in here, so I apologize in advance before
anyone tears a strip off me.

Was Bob's e-mail enjoyed, appreciated or even tolerated?  Plainly not.  Was
it even more irrelevant to Newtons than, say, poutine?  Most certainly.  Was
it almost certainly based on an extreme and ideosyncratic interpretation of
very partial (and somewhat misleading) data?  As someone who grew up in the
NYC area and weathered a LOT of storms there (early clear memories go back
to the '50s with Hurricane Cindy), I'm going to say "yes".    But do we
usually react to one another quite so harshly?

In my early days in NewtonTalk (and let's face it, I'm a Johnny-come-lately
here), one of the things I learned is that we're capable of deep-seated
disagreements without being disagreeable.  I learned this by seeing how
other folks here did it.  We're different from most other lists I've been
part of.  Another thing I learned is that a fair number of us hold at least
a few ideas/beliefs/theories/obsessions that some others of us consider "a
bit strange".  Not me of course; all my ideas/beliefs/theories/obsessions
are absolutely rock-solid, sane, normal, and agreed upon by everyone here.
I meant the rest of you folks.  B-)

So do I have a point or am I just a rambling old man?  I have a point (AND
I'm a rambling old man).  Could we return to our default of telling Bob we
disagree with the analysis of catastrophe he posted and why, and gently but
firmly reminding him that *The Destruction Of Life As We Know It* might not
be as relevant to Newtons as poutine?

PS -- I'm assuming his e-mail address hasn't been hacked or spoofed in order
to post some timely spam.  It wouldn't be the first time and if it has been,
all bets are off.

Just my 0.02 of whatever soon-to-be-(even-more-)worthless unit of currency
you prefer to move around in your wheelbarrow.  I'll go back to minding my
own business now.

Shalom,

Christian

            -- ref.:  Arthur C. Clarke