[NTLK] Einstein and Xcode 4

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Wed Sep 5 12:09:40 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Matthias Melcher <mm at matthiasm.com> wrote:

> This drives me nuts!
>
> I just had the one Eureka moment I was waiting for: how to move Einstein from being an Emulator (slow, interpreting the ROM, inflexible) piece by piece to become a simulator (running native code at full speed, rebuilding the OS, being copyright free).
>
> And then this: using the newest version of Xcode, Einstein barely compiles, and if it does, it will not run beyond the boot sound anymore. WTF? It's Apples idiotic pressure on developers to always use the newest API, so our apps become incompatible to older hardware.
>
> Anyway, end of rambling, start of question: can anyone help me to get Einstein back to life using Xcode 4.4.1? If so, I would love to implement Fibers to acheive the jump to simulation.

I fired up Xcode 4 a month or two ago to mess with NEWT/0 some more
and had a horrendous time getting it to do what I wanted/expected. I
never did find a way to get it to install the binary like I used to
do. It seems like a big change from previous versions, but I probably
haven't used it much since 2003 or 2004.

That said, the main issue I ran into was it was trying to build a
64-bit version, but NEWT/0 (in my case) is 32-bit only. Does Einstein
still use NEWT/0 for Relativity? If so, I'd double check the platform.
Also, the older Mac OS X SDKs are available, but they're an additional
install (from within Xcode, at this point) so you may need to grab
those.

This is probably all stuff you checked already. Is there a specific
error/failure you're seeing?

--
Morgan
---